Thursday, October 07, 2010

A potpourri of topics...

Abby's Artwork...
My 11-year-old niece, Abby, has added three more drawings to her blog so if you have some time, you may want to check them out. Just click on the following link: Abby's Artwork blog.

Six months ago from yesterday...
On April 6th, Dr. William DeCarbo, from Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Center in Westerville, Ohio, did surgery on my right foot; first cutting and flattening the nodules on the bottom of my foot and then putting a halo on it to straighten my ankle to a normal 90° angle.

Time flies, well, most of the time...
On the most part, the recuperation time went by pretty fast, which in some ways was a good thing since I was non-weight bearing for 70 days and spent the time in bed. Thank goodness I had my computer, TV, and a window to look outside, to pass the time. On the other hand, spring and summer went by way too fast. But then again, they always go by too quickly, but winter drags on and on and on. I'm not sure why it is that way, because the days are longer in summer and shorter in winter, therefore you would think the opposite would be true. But it probably has more to do with the cold and snowy weather conditions and the fact that me and a lot of other people just don't get out like we do in the spring and summer and that makes time go by more slowly. For those who have to go out in the wintertime, I would venture to guess that time goes by even slower than those of us who don't have to go out in it.

Walking still improving...
Even though I'm still using the walking boot to get around, I managed to walk another mile yesterday and today. I didn't use the stop watch to time myself, but I just used my wrist watch and looked at the time before and after. Yesterday I left at about 10:32 and returned at around 11:27 so I cut my previous 59 minutes and 24 seconds time by about 5 minutes. I took my time yesterday, so today I wanted to see if I could step it up a little and I did improve. Today I left at 11:14 and returned at 12:03. That comes to 49 minutes and some odd seconds, but I'll round it off to 50 minutes.

Ever so grateful...
I want to point out once again that I am so incredibly grateful to God for still being able to walk. Considering that from November 1977 to May 1979, I could only stand for a few seconds at a time, being able to put one foot in front of the other, 31 years later, is a blessing from God, which I do not take for granted. God has been so good to me.

My new right shoe...
I will probably get my new right shoe in about two weeks and it will probably take two more weeks after that to get used to it after wearing the walking boot the past four months. If all goes as planned, I would like to try and do another walking video before the colder weather sets in - hopefully by mid-November. I just hope the snow doesn't start flying until around Christmastime.

Lovely to look at...
In the meantime, I hope you get a chance to enjoy the beautiful autumn leaves the next few weeks, because all too soon they will be gone. Oh, how I look forward to spring again!

1 comment:

jane said...

I saw you walking the other day and it was good to see you out. Reading your blog helps me to realize how many things I take for granted.