Friday, September 03, 2010

My walking stride has improved...

On April 6th, almost five months ago, I had the right halo foot surgery. On the most part, the time went by fairly fast, at least it seems like it went by faster than it did with the left foot surgery, probably because the three surgeries for the left foot occurred from August 2008 to January 2009. Since some of my recovery time was during the winter months, I wasn't able to get out and walk like I did this time. I don't know about you, but winter days always seem to go slower than they do in the summer.

On July 27th, I produced a video of myself walking outside with the song, The Climb by Miley Cyrus. At the time, I took smaller steps and used the crutches with every step. Over the past seven weeks, my stride has gradually improved, but I still need the crutches, because my foot hurts a lot. I think most of the pain is caused by the walking boot, because it restricts my foot from moving and puts more stress on some of the muscles and tendons. Hopefully, after I get the new shoe, my foot will have more mobility and feel much better.

Below is a second video of me walking outside, and this time I am able to walk a little faster and my stride is also longer. I chose One Step At A Time by Jordin Sparks as the background music.



The video clip from July 20th, was videotaped by my niece, Abby. Dianne, my home health aide, videotaped the rest on September 3rd. It was by sheer coincidence that I wore the same outfit, even though they were videotaped 45 days apart. I actually have more than two outfits.

After I get used to walking in the new shoe, I'm going to produce the third and last video. I have already decided the song for it so you'll have to stay tuned to find out what it is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful progress you have made!! I'm adding your blog to our favorites~hope to see you when we take a walk around town!
Jake and Alyssa Demange

Jan said...

Looking good, Beck! Nice choice of music for the video, too. So, do you feel it was a good decision to get the surgery done, now that it's all over with and you are reaping some rewards? I know you weren't keen on all the recuperation time, but it sure looks like you are getting around a lot better!

Unknown said...

Becky, your incredible spirit gives us all inspiration. I love your video.